Old 18-03-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Slugs and Gravel: Does it work?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:47:37 +0000, Winsford Winsford.25589b6@
gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:

Koscha;778681 Wrote:
I live in Portsmouth, Hampshire which has a major problem with slugs and
snails......I was considering a gravel covering to stop the little
blighters from eating themselves stupid! But does this really work?

Slugs and snails are the bane of every gardener and since I created my
garden from a derelict site I reckon I've had more than my fair share
of these 'orrible molluscs! Following my success with over 60 hole-free
hostas I also reckon I may speak with some authority!

In my experience gravel from 50mm down to 6mm has little effect other
than to slow them down. But don't count on it! Best results for me come
from eliminating the first generation early in the year through
convenient location of the most slug prone plants and regular patrols.

I tried to load a (dimns Ok) picture showing my hostas at waist high
without a mark on them without success. But this picture and more
details are readily available from my web site. Simply enter 'slugs and
snails' in the search window on the opening page and then click on the
'Slugs and snails in the garden' entry page that results.

Give us a link to your website please!

Pam in Bristol