Old 19-03-2008, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Sad-looking bamboos

In article ,
"JimR" wrote:

"job2610" wrote in message
Hello

I planted a couple of large bamboos about 6-8 weeks ago along a south-
facing fence in my garden to help with screening. They were quite
expensive because they are well-established (about 6-7ft each and
about 2ft across) and when they were planted, they were lush and
green. However, they are looking decidedly worse for wear and a lot
of the greenery has been replaced by paper-like leaves and yellowing
growth.

I am not green-fingered in the slightest and have no idea why these
once-lovely plants are looking so forlorn. If anyone has any ideas or
suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Jo

Jo - I can think of a couple of things -- (a) normal transplanting
after-effects, or (b) cultural problems

(A) A culm of bamboo that is replanted may result in stalks that die off or
look fragile. The existing stalks aren't very decorative, they only show
where you planted the bamboo. The plant is mostly busy expanding it's root
area so that you will see a sudden spurt of a few new stalks a year from
now, and many more the following year. -- First it sleeps, then it creeps,
then it leaps.

(B) It's also possible that it's planted in an area with really bad soil
that has let everything dry out, or conversely that it's getting far too
much water. If the bamboo is planted in good garden soil and neither over-
nor under-watered it should do just fine, although the existing stalks will
probably deteriorate. Make sure the roots aren't exposed, mulch it, don't
water it any more than you would your lawn, and next year you'll have a
start on a healthy grove of bamboo. My best bamboo stands are those that I
couldn't spend time on and gave benign neglect. -- Regards --

On the other hand, it seems that bamboo is almost impossible to kill.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/