Old 20-03-2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default The death of a greenhouse tomato.

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I started Super Beefsteaks, Rutgers, and Brandywine tomato plants from
seeds in peat pots back in early February. Two weeks ago I
transplanted them to large pots in our greenhouse in coastal
California. They were doing well...then three days of heavy frost
hit! Temperatures in the greenhouse dipped below freezing, although
there was obviously no frost inside. Now they are brown and wilted.
Was I mistaken in thinking that it was the frost and not the
temperature that kills tomato plants? Are they likely terminal or
will they revive? TIA for the help.

Freezing is 30F. Did it get below 30F in you greenhouse?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/