Old 20-03-2008, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Ligustrum

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:17:07 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Couldn't locate any place to beat the price. 3 for 10 bucks. Bout' a
foot
tall each ligustrum. Don't see this plant displacing anything locally,
ever, based on what I've seen in the past.

Ever hear of a Texas Ash?
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...ustexensis.htm
Found the plastic tag identifier on 3 such trees landscaping a local
parking
lot. Want to mix up the local native trees with something else that will
survice a local drought. Will this tree, if prolific, displace the local
trees?

Obviously a native tree is fine. Ligustrum is on a DO NOT PLANT list.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen...g_invasive.pdf

Their basis on the top of the page is "They grow outside desired boundaries,
out-competing native species." Not valid from where I sit.

Based on my soil type and lack of rain, don't see how any could spread to
begin with. I can see this in looser soil with adequate rainfall or
irrigation. The birds and browsers don't bother these type berries. If
they per chance did, see first sentence. Any runners will be mowed down, if
growth pops up. Your area may be more susceptible as you have bottom land.

They may not survive due to the soil type and want for water in the first
season. If so, I'll try the Texas Ash next season in their current
location.
--
Dave

My vote in this primary was for the lesser
of many evils...