Old 20-03-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default what to use for garden mulch to reduce evaporation

In article , wrote:

Thank you for your ideas

Last year I tried to find straw instead of Hay but it is difficult to find

I guess they only keep what horses eat

Alphalpha would be nice if i can get it

Unfortunately we dont have enough trees for leaves and the ones i collect
from the lawn also have random garbage.. small pieces of paper and plastic.
I started saving it but I have decided against it.

Grass Clippings we have but I dont think this is a good idea in a vegetable
garden.

For some reason grass breaks down and gets very hot as it mulches but also
the chemicals on the lawn are probably not so great to be eating even at low
levels.

I dont use pesticides in the garden

I am going to try straw if i can get some

I was also thinking of getting some window screen to provide some shad over
the plants maybe and it might also reduce bugs.

Alfalfa usually contains 15% protein and "dairy quality" alfalfa can
contain protein levels well over 20%

White clover in its lush stage of growth could contain 22-25% crude
protein on a dry matter basis. Red clover has also been associated with
red urine in some horses. Porphyrins are excreted into the urine and
will oxidize and turn red. This is usually seen during the winter when
horses urinate on the snow.

Grass hay by haying time, their nutrient content will have decreased to
the 9-12% crude protein range, or lower, on a dry matter basis. For the
grasses to be harvested at their highest nutrient content, e.g., 20-22%
protein, they would have to be cut very early in the season before the
seed head has emerged from the boot stage.

Type of Straw Crude protein (CP, %)
Oat 4.4

Barley 4.4

Wheat 3.5

Pea 6.4

Canola 3.9

Lentil 6.4

Might be of use.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/