Old 20-03-2008, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default frogspawn

In message , Mel
writes
Wow, we had frogspawn here weeks ago and it's all hatched now. The taddies
are even growing legs! I'm in Devon.
Mel.

First frog spawn seen here in S Devon on 23 February, first tadpoles
spotted 5 March. No sign of any legs as yet but this would be unusual
as the legs do not usually begin to appear until several weeks after
hatching. Whilst your tadpoles with legs could well be a noteworthy
exception to the rule, it could be that they are over-wintered tadpoles
from last year particularly if your pond is in a shaded position
resulting in less light reaching the pond or there was insufficient food
available. I noticed a couple of large tadpoles and a newt eft in our
pond during early February that were clearly from last years spawning.

--
Robert