Old 21-03-2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Compost Pile Advice

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
If you don't like turning the whole pile, and I agree that can be a lot of
work, you should at least get a fork and mix up the new material and a little
bit of the top layer when you put new stuff in the pile. That's sufficient to
keep leaves and grass from clumping; when the stuff clumps together, it really
slows down the decomposition. After adding a lot of new material, sprinkle a
couple of shovelsful of soil over it, and stir that up a little with your
fork; lots of bacteria in soil to help with the decomposition. Keep the stuff
reasonably moist, and that should be all you need to do.

I quit getting uncomposted clumps when I started always sprinkling some dirt
over each layer.