Old 21-03-2008, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Olive Bush

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:
| On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:34:09 +0000, Tricky2
| wrote:
|
| I have had a Olive bush now for 7 years and it has grown to quite a
| size. It is kept all year round outside against a south facing wall. I
| water it about once a month all year round. I renew the soil with multi
| compost every spring and line the large pot it is in with polystyrene
| foam to protect the roots in the winter. If we do get a hard frost I
| then cover it with a fleece.
|
| Mine has been outside, against a wall, for the last 4 winters and I
| cover it with fleece in frosty weather.

I have a Feijoa sellowiana in a large pot, and that has taken the
past few winters without trouble. My belief is that a lot of the
tenderness of many plants is a simple inability to take the
combination of frost and waterlogging.

Olives grow in places that get significant frosts by the standards
of southern England - however, they are all drier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.