Old 21-03-2008, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Elderberry hedge

In article ,
"Mr X" writes:

| I have been trying to decide what the best hedge to grow in my tiny garden
| to give me some privacy. I finally decided to buy a quantity of bare root
| elderberry plants that are 2 years old and about 3 feet tall . The question
| is, how easy will it be to maintain a nice thick hedge of elderberry? What
| do I need to do to get nice lush growth through the summers without too much
| wood?

Impossible. Sorry. Elder does not form a thick hedge, nor does it have
leaves that grow directly off old wood or short spurs. You should be
able to get a reasonable visual barrier, but no more than that - anyone
looking through will see through (if not clearly).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.