Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Babberney

Default biggest weed in TX was Greenbelt Tree ID?

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:28:27 -0600, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article
65F4392C99DB5A9E.3EAAE84D510AC2E6.EA7F7749D47281 ,
(Babberney) wrote:

Regarding my earlier challenge, in the ligustrum post above, the
biggest weed in TX would be the Hackberry tree in my friend's world
view.

Why exactly do people hate Hackberries? For example, Howard Garrett likes
your friend calls them weeds and says dont, plant and if present remove.

First, let me say I was presenting this as a facetious side note. I
agree hackberries are too easily condemned much of the time.

In addition to the problems already mentioned, though, hackberries are
highly susceptible to mistletoe infestation. Right now you can drive
around and see hackberries with no leaves that still look like they
did in spring, because there is more mistletoe foliage than tree.
Once the parasite gets a grip, it weakens the wood, exacerbating the
breakage tendencies.

But the rare hackberry that doesn't grow in the middle of a fenceline
and gets moderate amounts of attention in the form of maintenance can
make a nice little tree, IMO. And, like Victoria said, it's a native
source of wildlife food. I didn't mean to condemn the species.

keith

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html