Old 21-03-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr X Mr X is offline

Default Elderberry hedge

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article , "Mr X"
says...
Hello

I have been trying to decide what the best hedge to grow in my tiny
garden
to give me some privacy. I finally decided to buy a quantity of bare
root
elderberry plants that are 2 years old and about 3 feet tall . The
question
is, how easy will it be to maintain a nice thick hedge of elderberry?
What
do I need to do to get nice lush growth through the summers without too
much
wood?

Mr X

Strange choice for a hedge, they are rather brittle and make long annual
canes if cut, I think the best you can hope for is something a bit
informal as a screen. Nice for the fruit though!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ours do quite nicely as a hedge, although not as dense as some, you
cannot see through it in season

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen from
elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested in any better
suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy in my tiny gardern.