Old 21-03-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Elderberry hedge

On 21 Mar, 19:22, "Mr X" wrote:
| My garden is 7 metres by 2 metres, its the 7 metre length that I want
| hedge. I dont want my hedge thicker than 60cm if possible. I did think
of
| planting sunflowers as there is plenty of light but they are annuals
and
| therefore harder work

You could let the elder grow upwards, pruning it to be narrow, which
will give you flowers and fruit. *If you prune elder back every year,
you will get no flowers and hence no fruit.

Although I would like some flowers and fruit, *privacy is what I want the
most

And you could then solve your privacy problem by growing a climber
up and around the elder, once the latter is established. *You would
want something not too vigorous, so perhaps the smaller clematis
(e.g. C. alpina, but there are dozens of them).

Now that is a good idea

Thanks people.

This reads to me like a wind up, but if not then post and wires and
grow blackberries or logan berries these will give you the juice you
want.
David Hill