Old 21-03-2008, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge

Bob Hobden says...

"Mr X"wrote
My garden is 7 metres by 2 metres, its the 7 metre length that I want to
hedge. I dont want my hedge thicker than 60cm if possible. I did think of
planting sunflowers as there is plenty of light but they are annuals and
therefore harder work

At 2 metres wide I'd use a fence, or trellis for plants to grow up, to save
space.
Talking of climbing plants...over to you Charlie. :-)

I'm surprised that anyone would actually want elderberry as
a hedge. I've always treated it as a "hedge weed" and
chopped them out of existing hawthorn hedges at every
opportunity. Perhaps that attitude comes from my farming
background where elderflower is just too flimsy to make a
barrier against cattle in hedging and is literally a waste
of space. It also tends to self seed everywhere. Awful
stuff. In view of the small garden I'd definitely go for
trellis and climbing plants... lots of choice of clematis
etc.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.