Old 22-03-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge

Anne Jackson says...
The message from "Mr X" contains these words:

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen from
elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested in any better
suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy in my tiny gardern.

I have a mixture of beech, hawthorn and blackthorn. Not exactly
rapid-growing, but I intend to be around for quite a while yet,
and I love sloe gin! ;-)

I have difficulty getting rid of the elderberry trees in my garden,
and _yes_ they do grow that tall!

They tend to self set in situations where they are
difficult to get rid of e.g. between a shed and a wall.

I've completely chopped down one at my fathers house that
has grown to tree size on two occasions now, between a shed
and his garage in a gap of less than one foot. Virtually
inaccessible hence impossible to dig up. It has finally won
and is now growing through the rotten shed floor and out of
the broken shed windows! The branches have also damaged the
garage roof where they keep rubbing in the wind.

I've seen them growing and wreaking havoc in similar narrow
gaps all over the country.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.