Old 22-03-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge

Anne Jackson says...
The last one I attempted to demolish was growing (as you say)
in a narrow gap between a shed and a fence. I cut it as close
to ground level as I could, leaving a stump of about 8" which
I then attacked with an axe - this week I noticed that there
are young shoots growing from the decimated stump...

Within a two or three years it will be tree size again if
left unchecked. The only way I found of permanently getting
rid of one in such a position was by pouring an entire tub
of sodium chlorate weed killer around its base while it was
in full growth. This had to be repeated twice before it
finally gave up and died. I don't know if that stump killer
is any good - what's it called? Something like SBK?
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.