Old 22-03-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Elderberry hedge

In article ,
K writes:
| Sacha writes
|
| still others wouldn't allow it to be used to me furniture or cradles
| I would have thought that was more a matter of practicality
|
| According to folklore, it was superstition. If you really believed that
| witches could turn themselves into elder trees, you wouldn't put your baby
| to sleep in a cradle made of witch!
|
| See David's post about the quality of the timber. I doubt whether you
| could make a baby's cradle out of it, even if there were no
| superstition.

See mine, too :-)

You could, but it would be a damn-fool activity - comparable in
perversity to using upland blackthorn for the same purpose. My
limited experience of testing woodworking tools on it is that its
mature wood is comparable in hardness and grain to box. But
without the uniformity and in much smaller sizes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.