Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Gae Xavier

Default Wildlife ID Please?

Yep, that is what it looks like. Oh... I am so sorry for what happened to it.
I wonder if that big tree-top nest was its nest and what sort of predator
could have gotten to it way up there.

http://www.bestfriends.org/sanctuary...lcat041302.htm

The ring tail cat and the nest seem to have come down and landed together,
but what chewed the cat up and killed it from up there? A bobcat? Geez...
Animal Planet in my yard!

I am starting to understand why neighbors are finding their house cats killed
and mutilated in their yards...but by what bigger animal?

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that we had such a critter here since
the info says it is the state animal for Arizona -- a few miles away from its
home base I would say. :/

Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts wrote:

Gae,
We have a variety of ring-tailed cat here that sounds like what you're
describing - check out http://www.light-science.com/articles1015.html

http://www.bestfriends.org/sanctuary...lcat041302.htm

http://www.bczooimages.com/laz/anima...ingtailcat.htm

--
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts
http://www.tudortarts.com/

"Gae Xavier" wrote in message
Folks,

I came home tonight and in my driveway was a very odd looking dead
animal. I do not recognize it. It was lying dead next to a very large
bird or squirrel's nest that had come down from one of the oaks above.

It is about the size of a large male squirrel, but it has a black and
white ringed tail and a fox like face with sharp teeth. Its body is more
tan and brown colored fur with that black and white ringed tail. Weird!

It looked like it had both fallen out of the tree with the nest, but had
also been chewed on by something else.

Question: What animal is it?

TIA -- Gae