Old 23-03-2008, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Composting w/ Limestone?

In article ,
septemous wrote:

Hi totally new to composting - we are down in the tropics of south
america (actually got a write up in the Guardian:
http://tinyurl.com/348e99) where they seem to do a very poor compost
pile with limestone?

The food we grow tastes great - but I think I can help make the garden
even better with a good compost made up of all the organic veggie
scraps we generate here at the hotel.

Their pile seems a bit shallow and spread out for the heat we have here
- this I can fix.

They also put limestone in with the waste?

My question is if limestone is some sort of activator that they know
about and I don't? (something like alfalfa?) Or is it just doing
nothing and we should use some other activator -- in the
leaf/scraps/activator mix.

A follow-up would be - what activator to use if limestone is not
available -- something that would be readily available in such an
area.

Thank you

S_

Limestone will raise the pH. I don't know what is going on here but a
low pH will inhibit bacteria and encourage fungi, to a point. Do your
own experiments but until you are sure of something don't succomb to the
whiteman's burden and tell the locals how to get it right. Remember,
your not in Kansas anymore and they may know what they are doing. Enjoy
the food.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/