Old 23-03-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Osmosis watering?

sensible wrote:
Can anyone advise me on a way to make an osmosis watering system for
when
I'm away from home please?

Look at this diagram of my setup. http://science-stuff.tripod.com/watering.jpg
The position of the basin of water also the plantpot is fixed, so I
can't drop the pot to ground level for instance.

Firstly, will this "wick" system work?
If so, then how can I construct the wick etc.?
First thought is hollow plastic tube stuffed with sponge rubber....
....What do you think?

Thank you.

Wick watering is a very common method among certain parts of the
plant-worshiping world. Growers of African violets are especially attached
to the method since sloppy watering is prone to damage their pets. Since it
is so common the materials are likely to be found as close as your nearest
well-stocked gardening supply store. Like everything else you can also shop
for supplies online. An example (usual disclaimers apply)
http://www.wickstore.com/watermaid.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]