Old 23-03-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default key lime tree

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in

oups.com:

I am not a tree or garden expert but if I were you, I would
try to get rid of any nearby grass before showering the
tree.

i somehow doubt she has much grass growing in her house (her
key lime is indoors), but why should she be sure none is
nearby? what do you suppose grass has to do with spider mites?
Val, how's the humidity around the tree? IME, spider mites
thrive when the humidity drops below 30%.
lee

I was a little puzzled by the grass comment as well Lee, though I've never
heard a lawn harbors spider mite, my apartment is four stories up and my
'garden' is a balcony. I'm sure it's the lack of inside humidity even though
I mist daily and the little buggers aren't a problem when the tree is
outside. The daily misting is what alerts me to the webs. The indoor
humidity most likely is lower to that outside but I have orchids that bloom
and thrive and a maiden hair fern that stays quite happy and healthy. These
plants are usually the first to show signs of low humidity. I have a massive
ivy growing very near to where the lime tree resides inside. Ivy is a
notorious host to spider mite but mine has never had a sign of any, none of
the other of my many house plants ever have spider mites, that's what seems
so puzzling.

I'm going to try the "intensive lady bug counter attack" suggested and see
how that works. If it doesn't I guess I'm just resigned to constantly
lugging this tree into the shower as I have been ~sigh~

Val