Old 24-03-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Thorny Issue

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
. ..
"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
Anyone know of a vine I could plant and train on a
wire(s) that has pretty flowers, thorns and grows
very fast and might discourage deer and children
from entering an area? - Zone 6

You could grow a hedge of rosa rugosa. Very hardy. Spreads rapidly. No one
will dare trying to go thru it. Extremely fragrant flowers. Beautiful red
rose hips in the fall. Downside: attracts Japanese beetles.

-alan sung
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

How tall can they grow?

Hmmm....

It is not a vine however a "Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn" tree is a real
nasty evil tree. I have one in my yard, I plan on shredding it sometime
soon. Easy growing and cheap $20, I found one at a LOWES hardware store.

The thorns are horrible. The thorns are long 2-5" with sharp
barbs that easily breaks off. My neighbor has this tree also and a thorn
when straight through his boot and the tip broke off into his foot. Had
to goto the hospital to have the barb removed from his foot. Also, the
thorns has flatten the tires to his large class "A" farm tractor. Again
a nasty evil tree, slow growing though.

For a nasty non thorny vine, how about poison ivy

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.