Old 24-03-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Tomato Starting Discussion

Bill R wrote:
A lot of us that read and post in this newsgroup grow tomatoes and a lot
of us start our own seeds. I thought that I would start a discussion on
how you start and grow your own tomatoes.

I grow a lot of varieties that are not available as plants from the
local places that carry tomato plants. I use a couple of different
methods to start them. I like the "bio-dome houses" method that vendors
like Park Seeds sell. I also use the "peat pellets" (like the Jiffy-7)
for the larger plants. When I start seeds inside (in March) I place the
planter on "seeding heat pads". They really help in getting the seeds
started faster and result in a much higher germination rate than non
heated methods. They also help the plants grow much faster.

After the seed are up about a week they are watered with a 20-20-20
plant food solution mixed at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. I
generally don't put the tomato plants out in the garden until (at least)
the middle of May. Before that I put them out on the porch during the
day (in the shade) to get them accustomed to the weather.

How do you start your tomatoes?

I put seed in a small flat of plastic in damp potting soil and seal with
Saran wrap. They start rapidly kept on top of the hot water heater.
When emerged I transplant into peat pots and put in a window.