Old 22-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Compostman

Default Composting sticks and limbs....

You blew it. You should have used the shredder when you had it. Wood will
eventually break down if in contact with the soil (not buried), but it takes
a long time. Eventually or solar system will break down also, but that will
take even longer.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC
"Noctaire" wrote in message
I have a pile of sticks and tree limbs from some trees we cut down along a
fenceline. I had a chipper shredder on loan for a while but could not get
the time to get through them all -- I've left 'em in this pile for over a
year and they're still intact.

I'd REALLY like to encourage these puppies to break down so I can add some
topsoil and even the area out for some PLANNED plantings rather than the
unexpected ones (like pokeweed, which by the way has taken over a large

area
of my yard these days). Any suggestions on how to get these breaking down
without renting a chipper shredder?

James