Old 26-03-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default SHIGOMETRY question.

Has anybody done any SHIGOMETRY work in Allegheny National Forest (ANF) PA
area? I have and have means for CER of

Tionesta Area PA: On 8/26/1999 (Does anybody know about when the cambium
zone goes back into the resting stage in this area?)
Eastern Hemlock (have mean for this stage) canopy

American Beech (have mean for this stage) canopy

Cook State Park Forest PA: On 8/29/1999 (does anybody know about when the
cambium zone goes back into the resting stage in this area for these
species?)

Black Cherry (have mean for this stage) canopy

White Pine (have mean for this stage) canopy

American Beech (have mean for this stage) canopy

- - - - - - -- -

Maryland in Buffer Zone with old growth conditions

Cornus florida on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 (have mean for this stage) Cambium zone
in resting stage. Understory

Oak, Swamp White Oak on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 and 9/12/1999 (have mean for this
stage) canopy

Tulip Poplar on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 and 9/12/1999 (have mean for this stage)
canopy

- - - - - - - - - -

Does anybody have any means they can share on CER for these species? Any
mean for Mountain Laurel in its two stages?

Can anybody share some of the numbers for the wire probe with heartwood
forming and sapwood only - forming trees, specifying the readings for
differences between heartwood, sapwood, color altered or discolored
heartwood, color altered and discolored sapwood (thus addressing wood
quality)? I am going to start making a data base on wire probe results for
the 10 most common trees in my area and would greatly like to share results
with other SHIGOMETRIST.

Also has anyone detect the quality of wood products with the needle probe
and deionized(sic) water? What were your readings for sound wood and what
were you readings for leaky wood? Of course the species specific rule
applies. Also does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of phenology
with this research?

This weekend I will be visiting with a customer who is interested in doing
some tree farming (thinning) and desires to consider tree biology when
selecting trees and health issues such as the ecological stages of trees and
course woody debris. We will be using the SHIGOMETER if it is not raining
and the temp. is above 40 degrees f. to select trees for harvest. Of course
we will have to separate suppressed and trees such as canopy. This research
is really what I like to do. The customer also is an organic gardener,
starting a garden, and we will be hauling and selling a load of certified
organic mushroom soil to help finance the research project. The customer
has a wonderful bed and breakfast which will make the work unique. If
anyone has any last minute thoughts with respect to this type of research
and tree farming please let me know. I guess my control will be past and
future research results from Tionesta, Cook and Maryland. I need to get out
in the forest more to get the data I require for tree farming.

Also does anyone have data on the optimum fertility levels for trees in
Maryland or Pennsylvania? We would like to be able to test soils to see if
specific elements are lacking. Most results from extension service are
based on requirements for corn.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert