Old 26-03-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default My New Zealand photos.

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

not been to the museum for a number of years now & not seen the animals
though iIcan guess what they will be. In a couple of days there will be
several additions of introduced 'english' pests including Sidebottom,
Strauss, Vaughan, Panesar & 'Lord Malfoy' Broad. We could also do you
poms a
favour & add G Boycott if you like. If my auntie, visiting from
Birmingham,
gloats too much she may join as well.

Come now, these "pests" were/are invited by NZers to NZ !

have you met my auntie?

As for Auckland, here is a gardening piece of ******** you lot will like.
The "Ellerslie Flower Show" was for some years staged at the Ellerslie
( a
suburb of Auckland) Racecourse in central Auckland. When the event, and
traffic, outgrew the racecourse it got shipped out to the Botanical
gardens
in South Auckland which was a good venue with heaps of access. A year or
so
ago the Auckland City Council decided to cut back on its funding to the
event so the flower show put the event up for auction. It was won by
Christchurch. So now the 'Ellerslie' flower show is moving hundreds of
kilometres south to Christchurch. The 'Ellerslie' flower show in
Christchurch.

Auckland to Christchurch - that's about 500 miles, including a
substantial ferry crossing at Cook Strait. Silly for them to keep
calling it the Ellerslie Flower Show then, isn't it. I remember when I
was a lad Christchurch had its own annual flower festival, as part of
the annual "Pan Pacific Arts Festival". Anyway, to be quite honest I
think Christchurch a far better location for a flower show, the whole
city being botannically more interesting than Auckland. However,
Auckland is one hell of a lot warmer, isn't it, and there are many
plants and trees that grow up in Auckland and beyond which simply won't
have it down in the London-like climate of Christchurch.

sub tropical plants, with a strong pacific flavour in late spring to a
sub-artic city, with nowt pacific about it and late summer (I think). QUITE
a big change.

rob