Old 26-03-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Shady climbers for year round interest

On 3/26/2008 5:26 AM, lauraloo wrote:
I have a small garden surrounded by houses all sides and my neighbours
have just erected a fence resembling the Berlin Wall on one side. I'd
like to grow something up it which has year round interest. Few things
to consider:

* the fence is 2.5m high, 4m wide so nothing too vigorous and
swamping!
* it's almost always in shade and is north facing, maybe an hour or
two of dappled sun max
* would prefer light and bright colours to stand out (everything seems
to be pale or white for shade - bit of colour would be good)
* would prefer something evergreen to add interest in winter if
possible
* would love fragrence but being greedy now!!! : )

I was considering a mixture of rose/clematis/climbing hydrangea/other
vines - can anyone advise if the following are the way to go:

Rosa Madame Alfred Carriere
Rosa Zephirine Drouhin
Clematis 'Dawn'
Clematis 'Guernsey Cream’
Clematis 'Silver Moon'

Any other suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Where are you? That is, what is your climate?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean