Old 26-03-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT calling any French residents

In article ,
says...
On 26/3/08 13:27, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
snip

That is indeed a problem, people chasing a bargin! Much the same with
Clematis armandii, named ones are noticably dearer than ordinary clematis
so when people see a cheap one they think its abargin but no its a
seedling, many of which are indiffent flowerers. I may have green thumbs
but that clematis I can not do and we have a lovely one in the garden.

Ray is delighted that he's had some real success with C. rehederiana this
year. He forgot to do any last year and it seems to be hard to track down
in any numbers. Do you find this tricky to propagate Charlie, because it
seems to have a reputation for it? I really love it, especially as it's so
different and flowers late with a sweet and gentle scent.

Its easy enough from seed but only if you remember to collect the ripe
seed in the autumn! both the seed and cuttings are prone to botrytis
during winter so I try and keep mine on the dry side of the greenhouse
even so I lose about 50% and of course its not 100% hardy so can be laid
low by a sharp frost. All in all I could multiply the number I produce by
100 and still not have enough
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk