Old 26-03-2008, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT calling any French residents

In message , Sacha
writes
On 26/3/08 13:48, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:38*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| Broadback says...
| Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post
here
| and I would like a little information.
| The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses
|
| over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
| reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
| that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30
|
| shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a
result a
| number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
| Does this rule applied in France?
|
| First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
| 1st of April to me :-)
|
| No its true and causing problems in Cornwall too, people are having to
| buy three separate tickets for one jurney and get off the bus, they then
| get straight back on with the same driver and continue - daft

But damn-all to do with the EU ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well perhaps not, though I do think they could be a lot clearer what they
intend measures to do and be much clearer about what is not meant or
intended. But in this case I smell a bus company rat, they seem to have
used a minor regulation to get three fares instead on one out of people!

Most of all, they have found a way around having to incur the expense
of providing the legally required safety measures (i.e. fitting the
tachograph and paying their drivers while on break)... These measures
were aimed at improving safety for the public using the bus services.
Finding a loophole to avoid having to improve safety for their
customers reflects far worse on the bus companies (British or
otherwise) than it does on the law makers, be they the Brussels
originators, or the national translators of the EU law into national
legal measures.

Cat(h)

An extract from today's Western Morning News:
"Bus passengers on some rural routes are being forced off their vehicles
part way through their journey because of EU rules.

Legislation forbids bus drivers from travelling for more than 30 miles in
one go.

Passengers on some routes must get on and off their bus, sometimes twice, to
prevent bus operators from prosecution.

Operators in Cornwall have condemned the new rule brought in last April as
"idiotic" and have called for Whitehall to step in.

Western Greyhound, based in Newquay, has been forced to split its Newquay to
Plymouth service into three sections.

Although one driver is used throughout the trip, passengers have to buy
three tickets and break their journey twice."

Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley