Old 26-03-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Are there plants specifically used to create wind protection?

In article
,
Diego wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to plant an ornamental cherry tree in the middle of my
garden -- problem is, it gets rather windy and I read that wind will
cause the petals of the flowers to simply wash away..

I would really like some advise on how to stop the wind from coming
through, or if, in fact, the plant will be able to tolerate windy
weather.

I'm in Zone 3 though in summer it gets really hot and dry .. With
weeks without rain.. And in winter we get considerable frosts in the
mornings ..
(Melbourne, Australia, to be specific)..

Thanks for your help,

D.

Perhaps a micro climate adjustment could work. If your wind comes
from a certain direction why not consider a sculpture to deflect it.
A simple wall with a mirror built in can infer infinity. Use your
imagination.

Bill

ps "petals of the flowers to simply wash away" as does all life. Tis
why we like real flowers and destain fake. Holding on to petals
inhibits next years petals. Waxing.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA