Old 27-03-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Is it too early to unwrap a FIG tree

happyD wrote:
Live in the lower hudson valley - New York State. I think zone 6 . �Is
it too early to unwrap a fig tree. �I would like to get a jump on the
growing season. Last year it seemed like it was two to three weeks too
short. Had a lot of fruit left on the tree that could not be used.

If you're around the Catskills it depends on your elevation, use some
descretion. Right now even at the lower levels temps dip into the mid
teens at night, I would wait at least two more weeks, and even then I
wouldn't unwrap a fig tree completely all at once.... make an opening
and peek to see if it's beginning to bud out, then open to light, and
keep protected from wind... for a while I would rewrap at night.