Old 26-03-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default OT calling any French residents

On 26/3/08 19:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
| a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
| to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?

It's almost certainly the installation of the tachygraph that they
don't want to do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also from the WMN:

"British law limits drivers to 60 hours a week at the wheel, but this is
superseded by the new EU regulations if a driver covers more than 50km at
any point in a single trip.

Those drivers are required to have a continuous 45 hour rest period -
effectively two days - within the same week.

This poses a problem for small rural firms, who do not have the staff to
cover the two-day break required, especially if they operate a Sunday
service.

Larger bus operators said they have worked around the new legislation and
that services have not been disrupted.

Operators First Devon and Cornwall operate a number of routes over 30 miles
and carry 17 million passengers around the two counties every year.

Company chiefs said they had decided it was more important to continue to
serve the customers on these routes with no disruptions.

A spokesman said: "The implementation of the 30-mile rule means there is the
need for additional drivers and the purchase of tachographs for the
vehicles. First has decided to absorb this cost, in the interest of our
customers and services. It is not necessary for customers to change, or get
on and off buses as we have altered the way in which these services are
operated (which has ultimately increased costs) in order to ensure they
continue to be operated legally." "
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk