Old 26-03-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Broad Beans question

On 26/3/08 22:42, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

There seems to be a shortage of insects and bees and I presume this is
causing the lack of pollination which is besetting the plants.

Any ideas you may have will be very welcome.

... they would have been far better in the open ground

Mine are in open ground, and the earliest sowing is now producing big
flower buds, but the OP is right that there doesn't seem to be many bees
etc about. Do broad beans manage to get pollinated at this time of
year? I've never grown them before, and I hadn't even thought about
that until now. One more thing to worry about I suppose.

Peter

We have plenty of honey bees and bumble bees around here, especially on
warmer days. It doesn't take much to get them out. But while I know
nothing about growing beans, can a paintbrush be usefully employed?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk