Old 27-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Richard at GS Richard at GS is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therefore View Post
Hello can you help.

My broad beans are growing well and flowering , these are in the glass house
with doors open when weather permits.

There seems to be a shortage of insects and bees and I presume this is
causing the lack of pollination which is besetting the plants.

Any ideas you may have will be very welcome.

Hi Leslie
I have tried broad beans in a polytunnel before and was very disappointed with the fruit set even later in the season when there were more bees about. I don't think they are very good at self pollinating. Climbing french and dwarf beans are much more successful under cover. Sorry not to be more positive, but you could have a go with the paintbrush and keep your fingers crossed.