Old 27-03-2008, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Laura at theGardenPages Laura at theGardenPages is offline

Default californian lilac

I have a ceanothus (my second). It is blooming now. But there are a
lot of different types, yours could just bloom later.

But if there are no leaves..... it's supposed to be evergreen. Break
off the branch tips until you reach wood that has some green inside.
For closer to the base of the plant use your nail.

Sorry! It may just be dead. I've hear they can just up and die after
a few years. My first one seemed fine and then just died. But I
think it was getting too much water. The one I have now is only
getting rainfall and seems OK. I should plant a few more tho, the
bees love them and they smell so wonderful when they flower.

Good luck