Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Gae Xavier

Default Horseradish Tree

Thanks, Roland. I appreciate the info!

I am headed to the Asian and Indian grocers now. I asked here because I
really enjoy growing my own ingredients when possible and this sounds like
such a neat tree, and environmentally sound as well. It has few demands, and
grows practically anywhere and even has fragrant flowers.

John D. are you listening..? Maybe we could buy a horseradish tree from
you. There is a large and growing Indian community here now.

I love my curry tree, and my kumquat bush, and lime bush. I know they are not
native, but as long as they are well adapted to our conditions and
non-invasive, I think having one is a great idea.

Afterall, okra is not native either... plus a thousand other edible crops
that we grow here for food.

I am having a bit trouble with my two tiny caper bushes. They are supposed to
be suited OK to our area, but I am struggling to keep them going. Can't
figure if I am not watering enough or too much, and if they like full sun or
not and if it is to chilly for them to be outside now.

Best to All -- Gae

Joe Doe wrote:

In article , wrote:

k/engineering/staff/Sutherland/moringa/general/general.htm

I had this great frozen TV dinner Indian soup called Sambhar and I
wanted to make some. So I searched for a recipe and "Drumsticks" were
called for. This is a vegetarian recipe, so I knew they weren't taking
"chicken".

I found the ingredient was for the "horse radish tree" or Moringa
pterygosperma and it seems to tolerate alkaline soils to ph 9!! and
tolerates drought and protects your liver and kills viruses.

Sound like a good soup ingredient to me! Can it be bought around
here? I love my "curry tree" that I ordered from NYC.

I do not know anything about the tree but the right "drumstick" for
sambhar can probably be found frozen at Indian Grocers. I know MGM on
Burnet definitely has them because I bought some 2-3 weeks back but have
not yet used it. If you have not eaten it before it is indeed a great
ingredient for Sambhar (as are eggplants). The outside is very tough so
you suck out the soft flesh and seeds though you throw the whole thing in
while cooking it. Sambhar is a south Indian dish and Dakshin is a good
cookbook for this kind of cuisine (available at the Austin public library
I think). I am constantly amazed at the more esoteric Asian food
ingredients that can easily be found as global trade explodes.

I do not know about the viability of frozen seed but you could germinate a
few if they withstand freezing.

Roland