Old 27-03-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Broad Beans question

Sacha wrote:

On 26/3/08 22:42, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Mine are in open ground, and the earliest sowing is now producing big
flower buds, but the OP is right that there doesn't seem to be many bees
etc about. Do broad beans manage to get pollinated at this time of
year? I've never grown them before, and I hadn't even thought about
that until now. One more thing to worry about I suppose.

We have plenty of honey bees and bumble bees around here, especially on
warmer days.

Well, it's true there are some about sometimes. I even ejected a very
large very sleepy wasp from the kitchen a week ago.

It doesn't take much to get them out. But while I know
nothing about growing beans, can a paintbrush be usefully employed?

I suppose so! I have had a couple of sessions with a cotton bud on my
overwintering chili plants, and they seem to be setting fruit now. But
I reckon if it's outside then that part shouldn't be my responsibility

Peter