Old 28-03-2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Royal Empress Tree

pilchardthecat wrote:
Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually
butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood
burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an
extraordinary
rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense
wood? (it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i
find it difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive
fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

Hardwood != hard wood. Balsa is a hardwood. It's a taxonomic
distinction unrelated to the properties of the wood.

In any case, in some parts of the US it's considered a "noxious weed".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)