Old 28-03-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default My New Zealand photos.

George.com wrote:
bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.

A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
take that, mate!

ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were great.

Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
dip of red food-colouring on the end. My parents smoked like chimneys
so I guess that was probably why I always somewhat disapproved of the
candy cigarettes. Anyway, re. the word "candy" (or "sweets"), the NZ
word was always "lolly" or "lollies". On special occasions we had
"lolly scrambles" - which involved a teacher or parent throwing handfuls
of lollies into the midst of a bunch of kids on a lawn and then watching
each child desperately scramble (and fight!) to grab as many as
possible. Very uncivilised and somewhat cruel really.

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ Apparently,
it originated amongst Maori people and is used to describe feeling
great, as in "She's like a box of fluffies this morning", or "I was like
a box of fluffies". There's a suggestion it's close to "like a box of
birds", which suggests it may derive from the image of a box of
newly-hatched chicks.

Eddy.