Old 29-03-2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Lawn care 3 step program

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:00:59 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

To winterize or not to winterize lawn

"Winterize your lawn", the big sign outside the garden store commanded.
I've
fed it, watered it, mowed it, raked it and watched a lot of it die away.
Now
I'm supposed to winterize it? I hope it's too late. Grass lawns have to be

There are a LOT of products for lawns. Lawn care has a lot to do with
location. Fall fertilization is most important for cool grasses
because the roots grow during the cooler winter months. For my
particular location (e TN) I use organic fertilizers in the spring to
avoid burning the grass--we can have brutal harsh dry hot long
summers. (I hate summer in TN!)

Actually turf grass is not native. There are some native clump grasses like
little blue stem and such. Clover is nice because you get free chemicals
like the element nitrogen. You also get the N without a compromise to
ground water pollution like N applied by owners. In our hot dry summers
clover might be the only thing green. The monoculture turf grass always
turns brown in August (most of the time.

Anyway we have hot dry summers here often. A forest has the survival
feature of nurse logs or course woody debris that become like sponges and
with soil contact act as a water reservoirs for trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.