Old 29-03-2008, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Damping off - Take two

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:15:33 -0700, Billy wrote:

Has anyone tried moving the moldy plants outside? If so what were the
results? I moved my seedling into starter six packs, added a little
potting soil and put them outside two days ago. Plants still look
healthy and I am disinclined to intervene. How crazy does this sound?

Heh heh...when I had the crud, it persisted....thru transplanting, thru
moving outside, thru sunlight and gentle breezes.....until I set them
in the ground...they turned out fine. Maybe I should have washed the
starting mix off the roots before transplanting.

Seems like you have two options...treat em and see what happens or
start over. Make that three options....do both.

Me? I'd let 'em be.

BTW...is your crud tannish brown and when you hit it with spray, it
effing explodes in a mini-cloud of spores or powder or whatever it is?

I'm looking at 10 starter six packs with my damp off afflicted seedlings
in them. The 2 gm. of Mycostop ($16) is good for a cubic yard of potting
soil. I could nuke the little *******s but the plants seem fine. The
mold looked like downy mildew. It is down around the roots and was on
the surface before it got buried under potting mix. My understanding is
that the damping off likes it warm and humid. Well, right now its got
humid and 40F to 60F. I'm hoping that some kindred fool out there has
done the same as me and can relate their experience.

Really, I don't know what I'm thinking, I'll nuke 'em tomorrow. Can't
hurt. But this stuff is like buying weapons grade anthrax with the
signing and printing of your name and address, ect.

Almost got some more planting done today but the showers kept coming and
going and chased me inside. Got to weed whack some of my green manure
first. Tomorrow is supposed to be good, I'll get a new tray started too.

Lovey doesn't want me doing too much because I just got a cataract
roto-rootered. Boy was I surprised to find that our kitchen is painted
white instead of a pastel yellow. It didn't happen for my mother in law
but my sight is almost normal again. For me, it was like lasik.

Well off to put in more time with Carlo Petrini, lord is he hard to
read. It seem that every sentence has three or four subordinate clauses.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/