Old 29-03-2008, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default My New Zealand photos.

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.

A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
take that, mate!

fair suck of the sav Eddy. Eskimo pies & choc bombs are bottler/bottla. So
stop being a sheilas blouse about it.

ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were
great.

Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
dip of red food-colouring on the end. My parents smoked like chimneys
so I guess that was probably why I always somewhat disapproved of the
candy cigarettes. Anyway, re. the word "candy" (or "sweets"), the NZ
word was always "lolly" or "lollies". On special occasions we had
"lolly scrambles" - which involved a teacher or parent throwing handfuls
of lollies into the midst of a bunch of kids on a lawn and then watching
each child desperately scramble (and fight!) to grab as many as
possible. Very uncivilised and somewhat cruel really.

We can also still get jubes, wine gums, topsies, pebbles & smarties, though
not in 10 cent mixtures any more. Hard case eh. The cookie bear seems to
have carked it mind. Ches n dale, those blokes have also shot through. I
have not seen tingles last time I had a squiz in the dairy. That was yonks
ago mind. Might still be able to get some if you have a good root around.

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ

box of fluffy ducks. Bobs your uncle mate. Thanks for the yack.

rob