Old 29-03-2008, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default My New Zealand photos.

On 28/3/08 09:49, in article ,
"Eddy" wrote:

snip

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ Apparently,
it originated amongst Maori people and is used to describe feeling
great, as in "She's like a box of fluffies this morning", or "I was like
a box of fluffies". There's a suggestion it's close to "like a box of
birds", which suggests it may derive from the image of a box of
newly-hatched chicks.

Eddy.

That's the one! A friend of mine worked as a doc. In NZ for some time with
Maori people. Friend was English and thought he should learn a few of the
local expressions and sayings to integrate better. One morning, he had an
incredibly nervous male patient and as the minutes of the examination ticked
past the patient's nerves made my friend nervous, too. He wanted to say
something cheery to reassure the poor man and knew it involved some kind of
container and some kind of animals. To his own horror and amazement he
heard himself say "No problems, mate. Bucket of fish", whereupon the
terrified patient shot off the couch and legged it as far away as possible
from this obviously deranged medic.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk