Old 29-03-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Linking chicken wire

In article ,
says...

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.

| What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk