Old 29-03-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Linking chicken wire

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article
| ,
| TC writes:
| |
| | I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| | and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| | substantial.
|
| That's some chickens you have!
|
| You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
| substantial enough.
|
| Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
| so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
| rather than things in.

That argues in favour of using heavy gauge chicken wire, such as 2".
You need weldmesh only to stop wolves, hyaenas and so on :-)

I will accept that, if you have a problem with badgers breaking in,
and then being followed by foxes and dogs, weldmesh could be useful.
But it isn't needed against the latter alone. It will last longer
than chicken wire, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.