Old 29-03-2008, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Linking chicken wire

"TC" wrote in message

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and
foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

I can understand your worry but we lost a lot of our bantams before we
fenced the garden effectively. The chicken mesh was more than adequate for
their run, they were all killed while they were in the garden.

Mary- Hide quoted text -

I've been told that some animals can bite through chicken wire and
also that if the mesh is too big then chickens can stick their heads
through it to look at a fox who then bites it off! Don't know how
likely this all is.

The idea of a chicken looking through mesh at a fox is, I'd say, so unlikely
as to be laughable. If they see a fox or unfamiliar dog from a long way
they'll try to get away.

I doubt that a fox could bite through chicken wire too, they never have
here.

Mary