Old 29-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Fluffball Fluffball is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post
In article , Dark Energy
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:36:51 -0700 (PDT), craig4326
wrote:

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

"Gardening" is such a vast area that you need to make some choices.

Do you want to garden all year? So. Calif and other mild climate
cities. Or would you be content with a limited growing season.
How limited?

Do you want to grow certain fruits that need winter chill -- e.g.
old-style blueberries, pears, apples, etc. Check out cities that
will give you winter chill.

Do you want to grow fruit trees? Shade trees? Need to check
municipal codes, as well as soil quality.

All these, and many other garden variables, have to be considered lest
you move to City "X" and find you can't do what you want.

Other non-garden variables: Air -- clean or polluted.

Soil - clean or polluted (by former heavy industry, e.g.).

Sunshine vs Rain.

Water supply.

Municipal government (crooked or responsive to citizens).

Schools (if school-age children)

Transportation - is there public trans. or would you be car
dependent, and if the latter, how is traffic?

These, and no doubt many others, are factors equally important
with gardening possibilities.

To gain some of the above, one might have to give up or compromise on
others. But isn't life all compromise!

Happy hunting!

Dark Energy

Personally, I'd go for Paris and window boxes;-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
The San Francisco bay area all seemed quite good when I lived there. The city itself offered oppotunites for growing plants that enjoy cool wet climates, but avoided frosts in the winter. I would avoid the areas by the sea.

Moving further down the bay area towards San Jose, I was able to grow Peaches, Oranges, Bourginvillia, Oleander and plants requiring a warner dryer climate. I could also grow most other things too if I threw enough water at them and even got a decent crop of Blackberries.