Old 29-03-2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Damping off

On 3/28/2008 7:15 PM, Billy wrote:
Has anyone tried moving the moldy plants outside? If so what were the
results? I moved my seedling into starter six packs, added a little
potting soil and put them outside two days ago. Plants still look
healthy and I am disinclined to intervene. How crazy does this sound?

I once read that peat moss can prevent damping off, according to the
following reasoning:
Damping off is caused by a fungus.
Peat moss is acidic.
Weak acids inhibit fungus.

I don't do much seeding; but I do take cuttings, which can also be
affected by damping off. I use a 50-50 mix of coarse sand and peat
moss. Fertilizer can promote damping off, so I add no nutrients to the
mix.

I have done occasional seeding. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html.

--