Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Synthetic Lumber. Raised beds.

Your post has sat here here for a week. Guess no one has used the stuff.
Brick - I've used the brick at home depot that are 13"X4"X4" and
interlock into each other.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/eastgarden2.jpg

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com =

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

"B.Server" wrote:
=

I have been giving some thought to installing a series of raised beds
in a garden. They will replace most of the area currently used for
vegetable gardening. I want to have closer spacing, more level and
deeper beds than are convenient by simply mounding the soil. (each
bed may have different soil amendments) This means that the beds need
to be defined by some enclosure. I have chosen to exlude the use of
treated wood products such as landscape timbers or used railroad ties.
That leaves brick, stone/mortar, cement block/mortar, untreated wood,
and "synthetic wood". Our climate is not kind to untreated wood in
contact with the ground, not to mention the carpenter ants and
termites.
=

Can anyone share direct experience with using any of the synthetic
wood products made of recycled plastics and (sometimes) wood fiber for
soil contact building? My beds would be around 4W'x24L'x12-18"H
(there is a slope). My concerns include how to brace, the synthetic
products are said to be much more flexible than wood of a similar
dimension; how to fasten (stainless steel screws?) and cost. Any
light you can shed would be much appreciated. Thanks

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html