Old 29-03-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Linking chicken wire

"TC" wrote in message
On 29 Mar, 13:01, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article
,TC
writes:

| On 29 Mar, 12:18, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
| "TC" wrote in message
|
| The idea of a chicken looking through mesh at a fox is, I'd say,
| so unlikely as to be laughable. If they see a fox or unfamiliar dog
| from a long way they'll try to get away.
|
| I doubt that a fox could bite through chicken wire too, they never
have
| here.
|
| Well I'm told it happens! Maybe it happens in a small %age of cases
| and you're not one of those. I get a fox every night sniffing about
| so it'll have plenty of opportunity to plan a form of attack....

And I am told that people have had rides in flying saucers, have
talked to Elvis and so on :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not sure if its more foolish to believe everything or to believe
nothing...but I suppose intelligence is shown in the deciding.

Argue here if you like:
http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk...ic.php?t=13478

"I obviously don't want 2" holes at the sides, as chooks could put their
heads out for Reynard to bite off! (Yes I have heard of this happening!)"

For centuries 'men say' has not been accepted as evidence, it's called
hearsay and is meaningless. It's been responsible for very many injustices.

My deciding is based on personal experience and the knowledge that chickens
are not stupid. Although, come to think of it, if a chicken DID stick out
its head and it was bitten off it would be a Good Thing, it would remove an
undesirable trait from progeny.

When my chickens and others I have known (a daughter is a free range chicken
farmer) if a fox is seen the birds run for cover. If mine see a ginger cat
they do the same (fox have more in common with cats in many ways than they
do with dogs).

I've thought of another possible solution to the problem - get a dog and
train it to leave the chickens alone. It is said that fox won't come near a
dog. I have other experience ...

A physical barrier is the only sure one. Renardine works for a time but it
time consuming, has to be repeated frequently and becomes expensive. Peeing
on the boundary is cheaper but has to be repeated frequently. A shotgun
would work for a while but a new generatio9n of fox would be lured to the
garden by the noise of chickens.

Mary