Old 30-03-2008, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Damping off

In article
,
bungadora wrote:

On Mar 29, 1:09*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

These plants were just about to come out of their seedling germination
trays and were under lights and over warmth.

Ah well. Big, but not big enough. My sympathies anyway. Been there,
done that.

Does this perhaps mean that the nitrogen gets bound up
by microorganisms which use it for their own nefarious growth
agendas?

You mean Shrub? I'll have to look into that;-)

Not sure what you mean there.

Shrub was the moniker that Molly Ivins gave George W. Bush. I equate ol'
George with Dark Lord Sauron from the "Lord of the Rings". Nothing evil
in this world happens until it is blessed by Shrub. I truly hope to see
him, one day, charged in a court of justice with war crimes, treason,
and malfeasance. No kidding.

I meant soil microorganisms (fungi)
utilizing nitrogen for growth rather like the way phosphates and
nitrates feed plankton.

Nitrogen is used by most organisms to make proteins for, nucleic acids,
enzymes (hormones), or structure (animals).

Just speculating - I don't know enough about the process, but for
nitrogen to promote microorganism/fungal growth there must be a direct
relationship.

Lack of nitrogen (NH3 or NO3) would inhibit growth.

Dora
still #2

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/